With all the variety of cheesecakes out there, there is still nothing like New York Style. Thick, creamy, and light at the same time. It’s sweet, but not so sweet you miss out on the subtle flavors. I used the blueberry sauce from the other day on this cheesecake, you can top it with anything you would like, or nothing at all.
There is a six hour cooling period, plan ahead if you’re making this for dessert. I recommend making it the day before. It will keep well in the refrigerator for several days.
The recipe and detailed instructions are at the end of this post. For this recipe we need gluten-free graham crackers, butter, sugar, cream cheese, salt, vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, sour cream, eggs, and egg yolks. Looks like we have it all. Ready, set, bake…
I’m using the gluten free graham crackers, but regular ones can be used with the same results. Break up the graham crackers in a food processor to a fine sand like texture. Mix the crackers with the sugar and 5 1/2 tbsp of melted butter in a bowl until well combined. Press the crumbs in the bottom of the prepared pan, bake for ten minutes, remove from oven to cool.
Using the paddle attachment, beat the room temperature cream cheese and salt for about two minutes until smooth. Add the sugar in thirds, beat after each addition for about a minute. Scrape down the sides before each addition. Add the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well.
Add the eggs yolks, then the eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
Brush the sides of a spring form pan with the remaining melted butter. Turn oven up to 500°.
Pour into cooled crust and place on a baking sheet in case there is spillover.
Bake at 500° for ten minutes, then reduce the heat to 200°. Do not open the door! Bake for 90 minutes, or until done (the middle of the cake should still be “giggly” – it will finish baking from the heat of the cake, if its firm already you have over-baked your cheesecake).
Remove from oven, cool for five minutes on wire rack. Run knife around the outer edge of the cake. Allow to cool for 3 hours at room temp. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Recipe: New York Style Cheesecake (Gluten-free)
Print RecipeYield: 16 servings
- 7 ounces gluten-free graham crackers or 1 sleeve of regular graham crackers
- 6 tbsp of butter, melted
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 1/2 lbs. (5 packages) of cream cheese, softened to room temp.
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of sour cream
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind the graham crackers in a food processor. Mix with the sugar and 5 1/2 tbsp of the melted butter in a bowl until well combined. (reserve the remaining butter for brushing the spring form pan). Press the crumbs in the bottom of the prepared pan, bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven to cool while you prepare the filling. Brush sides of spring form pan with remaining melted butter generously after the crust has cooled. Turn oven up to 500 degrees.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the cream cheese and salt for about 2 minutes, to get out most of the big lumps, add the sugar in thirds, beat after each addition. Scrape down the sides. Add the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well. Add the eggs yolks and the eggs two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into cooled crust and place on a lipped baking sheet in case there is spillover.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 degrees. Do not open the oven door. Bake 90 minutes, or until done (middle should still giggle slightly).
- Remove from oven, cool for five minutes on wire rack. Run knife around the outer edge of the cake. Allow to cool for 3 hours at room temp. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.