Our friend invited us to go see the French band Air recently. Afterwards, we headed back to our place for dessert, Triple Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie. The chocolate really makes this pie. You can taste the chocolates and still taste the rich creamy pecan pie filling as well. It’s a perfect combination of flavors and texture. I used the Pie Dough for Pre-baked Pie Shell recipe for the crust. Any single pie shell recipe should work, just follow the baking instructions below for the shell.
The recipe and detailed instructions are at the end of this post. For this recipe, we need a pie crust, unsalted butter, dark brown sugar, salt, eggs, light corn syrup, vanilla extract, pecans, semisweet chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate. Looks like we have it all. Ready, set, bake…
Adjust oven rack to the lower-middle position, and heat oven to 350°. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and roast them slightly, for about 7 minutes. When the pecans are cool, chop them into small pieces.
Line a pie shell with plastic wrap and place pie weights or beans in it. Making sure no plastic is touching the pie pan, bake the shell for 25-30 minutes.
Melt butter in a water bath (or double broiler) with simmering water.
Remove the butter from the heat and using a wooden spoon, mix the melted butter the sugar and salt, until butter is absorbed. Mix in the eggs.
Stir in the corn syrup and vanilla. Return bowl to a water bath, or a saucepan set on low, and stir until mixture is shiny and warm to the touch, about 130°.
Remove from the mixture from the heat and stir in pecans. Remove the shell from the oven, taking out the weights and return it to the oven for five or six more minutes. Remove the crust and reduce the oven temperature to 275° and move the rack to the center of the oven.
Fill the pie shell with the pecan butter mixture. Placed each type of the chocolate pieces on top of the pie, one at a time to ensure they are evenly distributed.
Gently press the chocolate pieces into the filling with the back of a wooden spoon. Bake 55 to 65 minutes (the center should be gelatin like).
Transfer pie to rack to cool completely, at least 4 hours.
Recipe: Triple Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie
Adapted from: Print RecipeYield: XXX servingsCrust recipe
- 1 9 inch baked pie shell
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter — cut into 1″ pieces
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans (4 ounces) — toasted, chopped
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate — cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 2 ounces milk chocolate — cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 2 ounces white chocolate — cut into 1/4″ pieces
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 375°
- Toast the pecans on a sheet pan for 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Chop the nuts into small bite size pieces and set aside.
- Remove the crust from the freezer, line with plastic wrap and fill with pie weights, make sure not plastic is touching the pie pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and weights by gathering the corners of the plastic wrap and pulling up and out. Continue baking five to six minutes more. Adjust oven rack to center position, and heat oven to 275°.
- While the crust is baking, melt butter in a medium heatproof bowl set in a skillet of water maintained at just below a simmer. Remove bowl from skillet, mix in sugar and salt with wooden spoon until butter is absorbed. Beat in eggs, then corn syrup and vanilla. Return the bowl to hot water; stir until mixture is shiny and warm to the touch, about 130°. Remove from heat, stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture into warm shell. Evenly scatter the chocolate pieces over pecan mixture. Gently press them into the filling with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake until center feels set yet soft, like gelatin, when gently pressed, 55 to 65 minutes. Transfer pie to rack; let cool completely, at least 4 hours.