Yield: 60 Cookies (2 1/2 inch – 6.4 cm)
- 30 ounces (850 g) all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces (227 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 7 1/2 ounces (213 g) dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (237 ml) unsulfured molasses
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; reserve.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light fluffy. Mix in spices and salt, then the eggs and molasses. Add the flour mixture in thirds on low speed until combined. Divide dough into thirds, wrapping each part in plastic. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut into shapes then transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes at 350°F (177°C), or until slightly brown around the edges. Cool cookies on wire racks. Decorate with royal icing.