Yield: One nine inch cake
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup warm coffee
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegitable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Cream Cheese Frosting (I used the frosting in this recipe )
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and beat the batter until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Line a 9 inch (22.5 cm) cake pan and fill with the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely in the pan before removing it from pan.
- Using a serrated knife slice the cake sponge in half horizontally. Place enough cream cheese frosting on the top of the bottom slice to create about a third of an inch thickness and spread the filling out evenly. Place the top slice on the top of the cream cheese filling.
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with some of the frosting. Place the cake in the fridge long enough to for the frosting to harden slightly. Cover the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Cut a circle on a piece of parchment paper that is slightly smaller than the cake round and set over the cake. Gently sift cocoa powder over the top. Carefully remove the paper and decorate the sides of the cake with chocolate chips.